There is a common perception that middle managers can be an obstacle to a customer focused world. That perception is a fallacy. Bruce Temkin has some great suggestions that help with this critical group.
- View your success through the eyes of middle managers.
- Create group of middle manager ambassadors.
- Actively gather feedback from middle managers.
- Track engagement levels of middle managers.
- Train middle managers to support change efforts.
But middle managers aren’t obstacles, they’re the the backbone to stability within an organization. If you want to create sustainable change, then they are a critical building block. Rather than viewing this employee group as a problem, treat them as the guardians of your success and activate them as part of your efforts.