In the Gallup Customer Engagement Survey, the final question asked is “I can’t imagine a world without XYZ.” The rating scale was 1 to 5. Only the 5’s were counted as “top box” scores.
This is what others call emotional connection. The Temkin Group has done a lot of research on this. They tapped into their consumer benchmark study to examine the connection between how consumers rate the emotional component of their interactions and their loyalty across 20 industries. They discovered when they examined the average across all 20 industries that compared with consumers who had negative emotional experience, consumers who had positive emotional experiences are:
- 15.1 times more likely to recommend the company
- 8.4 times more likely to trust the company
- 7.8 times more likely to try new products and services
- 7.1 times more likely to purchase more from company
- 6.6 times more likely to forgive company after a mistake
Loyal customers, they don’t just come back, they don’t simply recommend you, they insist that their friends do business with you.” – Chip Bell